HITTING SURVIVAL GOALS IS EASY IN A TIME VORTEX

900 words / 4 minute read


Regular readers will be aware of the "time vortex" nature of Sinville.

Dates have lost their meaning in this "Anti-Narnia" of perpetual weekend and constant summer. Granted, you have a time of year when it rains more, and a time of year when the temperature climbs, but you'll still be wearing your shorts no matter what.

This, of course, means I pay no attention to such things, so I don't care what day it is normally and still have to work out what month it is sometimes. I've also not considered 2018 at all, with the one exception of a survival goal that I've written down here.

It's these goals that can creep up on you suddenly, as I experienced twice over the last 24 hours, leaving me slightly weirded out. These were both triggered by reading about an imminent external event and thinking “Christ, already? That’s not supposed to happen for ages!”.

Before you say it, I realise that normal people think that way as well (since life moves pretty fast for everyone), but the follow up, "Hang on, wasn't I supposed to be dead by now?" is not an addition you have to include, I hope.

By coincidence, today I also remembered that my Cambodian visa is up for renewal. No doubt, when I bought my last six-month pass to live in paradise, I was somewhat certain I wouldn't have to do it again, otherwise I would have bought the full year.

Being aware of this creates a dilemma this time, just another example of the bizarre things I have to think about based on my Virtual Death Row uncertainty.

SURVIVAL GOAL CELEBRATIONS

So, onto these survival goals, the first one in question I set well over a year ago:

"To live to see the next “proper” Star Wars film, December 2017"

I'm not even a massive fan, it was just something I could use to mark time since it also commemorates two years that I've been away, since I was staying in Kuala Lumpur when the last "proper" one came out.

That big screen visit was memorable, not because of the film itself, but by the experience while there.

I've had odd movie-going experiences before - like having to stand for the national anthem in India (that felt strange), or the time my friend got lost at the IMAX in London when she went to the loo and couldn't find her way back to where we were sitting, the size of the venue and the three bottles of wine we'd sunk interfering with her internal sat-nav, I suppose.

To compound the problem, the film's special midnight showing-time meant there was no one working outside in the foyer to help her get her bearings, meaning she became hopelessly lost. When she eventually gave up and decided to head for home, it was too late for trains to be running so she actually called her (only-recently-ex) boyfriend to come and pick her up at 2 in the morning (which he did!).

I was no use to her because, being an obedient cinema-goer in an auditorium full of film buffs (who would have no hesitation in showing you their wrath for any trangressions), my mobile was switched off. I had no idea she'd even been gone that long since my share of the three bottles caused me to nod off, despite the film's volume easily being far above "safe for human consumption" dB levels. 

(BTW If you've ever wondered how it's possible to mess up going to the cinema and then I think I've found an answer for you).

Thankfully I didn't mess up my visit to see Star Wars but I was unaware before I went that the place would be air-conditioned to the point of being uncomfortably cold, like I'd dressed in beachwear to go to a London pub in December and had to sit outside with the smokers.

It seems the cinema's policy is to freeze their customers with “meat locker in Siberia” level sub-zero air-con temperatures but, thankfully, they have an answer for the problem they've created: for around a buck, they will rent you a blanket to keep out that nasty aircon so you can be warm and toasty.

Really rather strange, don't you think? All the more so since, as soon as the film was over, I was back outside sweating in the humidity and 30 degree heat.

Considering there is no local multiplex in Sinville, I'm actually thinking of recreating the experience by going to KL to commemorate the moment, because believe it or not it's actually easier (not to mention comparable on price) to jump on a plane from the local airport here to Malaysia than to risk life and limb on a six hour taxi to Phnom Penh.

"HANG ON, WASN'T I SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD BY NOW?"


But we're not there yet, and there was a surprise landmark that I found out today. This one concerns another cult name, "Mr. Robot", officially the best TV show ever (at least I say so), which started its third series in the States this week. Having watched the first two as they aired over June/July time in their respective years, imagine my disappointment when I read months ago that the new season won't start till October 2017.

The reason for my disappointment? I thought I had a shot at making it to July, but October at that point? No way! (But look where we are...)

No pressure on the creators at all, but I have obviously kept myself going purely to make it to this moment and that alone should keep the momentum for the next 10-12 weeks till it's time for Star Wars - so let's hope it lives up to the weight of its own importance, a young man's life depends on it! (not really but it still better be good haha).

See you soon

Stage-4-in-Sinville
theccconline.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CANCER ODYSSEY: PROGNOSES & BIRTHDAYS

HAPPY FREEDOM WEEK!